Theater House Staff, Part-Time
Job Title: Theater House Staff, Part-Time
Reports to: Manager of Theater Operations
The Jacob Burns Film Center (JBFC) is a nonprofit cultural and educational institution located in Pleasantville, NY, dedicated to presenting the best of independent narrative, documentary, and world cinema, promoting visual literacy, and making film a vibrant part of the community. We are seeking Part-Time Theater House Staff to join our team at the JBFC Theater, a five-screen independent cinema, which typically receives 225,000 patrons annually and is open every day of the year, including holidays and weekends.
In your role as House Staff, you will be reporting to the Manager of Theater Operations and be primarily responsible for the seating and safety of all audience members in all theaters.
We are seeking outgoing and highly organized individuals who have experience with the public and are interested in the arts to support day-to-day cinema operations for films and special events. Dedication to the goals of excellent customer service and outstanding film presentation is essential, as well as year-round availability beyond the summer months on weekdays as well as the weekend.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greets patrons in a friendly and welcoming manner and collects and verifies tickets
- Effectively supports front of house operations and film and event presentations, including concession inventory and operations, and theater patron seating
- Calmly assists with disputes regarding tickets and seats
- Assists guests with locating exits and amenities such as restrooms and concession areas
- Assists guest with limited mobility or other special needs to and from their seats
- Ensures that aisles, walkways, and designated seating areas are clear, clean, and safe
- Maintains a clean and safe environment in all areas of the theater
- Notifies supervisor of any problems with facilities, supplies, or venue
- Assists guests with complaints or concerns; escalates concerns to supervisor when necessary
- Contributes to a team-oriented atmosphere, ensuring that operations are running in a friendly, courteous, safe, and efficient manner
- Upholds the JBFC Code of Conduct and other company policies and procedures
- Experience in a movie theater, performing arts center, or other arts nonprofit institution is a plus
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers and guests, including to resolve minor disagreements
- Strong customer service mindset
- Computer literate
Applicants Should Demonstrate the Following:
- Interest in film and/or arts education
- Flexibility to work as a member of a team
- Ability to multitask and problem-solve
- Attention to detail
Hours: Monday to Sunday, flexible schedule between 10:00 am-12:00 am, up to 20 hours a week
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Theater House Staff 23” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please. Candidates who are being considered will be contacted and requested to have a follow-up interview.
Unsure if you should apply? Research indicates that some candidates are less likely to apply if they do not meet 100 percent of the listed qualifications. If this is you, and you believe you would excel in this position, we strongly encourage you to submit your application. We are actively recruiting candidates with diverse work experiences, backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, and abilities. We believe all work experience has value, and are fully considering all applicants with a strong desire to help us fulfill our mission, including candidates who are making career-focus shifts or returning from employment gaps. Please use your cover letter as an opportunity to express your interest in JBFC’s mission and programs, and how you envision yourself contributing as a member of our team.
Our organization participates in the E-Verify Program.
The Jacob Burns Film Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in hiring and employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, creed, sex, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic predisposition and/or carrier status, disability, age, religion, marital status, national origin or citizenship status, veteran status, or any other classification as protected by law. We hire and promote individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply for positions to be filled. Please inform the JBFC if you need any assistance with the instructions provided to participate in our application process. Questions and concerns may be directed to email@example.com
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties and responsibilities that are required of this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned.