Office Manager/HR Assistant
The Jacob Burns Film Center seeks a part-time (25 hours/week) Office Manager/HR Assistant. Reporting to the Manager of Human Resources, the Office Manager/HR Assistant will be responsible for serving as the Office Manager for the Media Lab, while also helping to support the day-to-day operations of the HR function. Duties and responsibilities could include:
Office Manager Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sort and distribute incoming/outgoing mail, packages, and deliveries daily; bring metered mail/Fed Ex to post office at the end of the day
- Greet visitors to the Media Lab; maintain visitor Sign-In sheet; meet with scheduled and walk-in office supply salespeople
- Answer JBFC general information phone line, field/direct calls, and manage general messages
- Order office supplies for Media Arts Lab departments; find space for items to be stored/organized
- Facilitate maintenance and productive use of shared office appliances and equipment (kitchen, copier, printers, postage meter, etc.)
- Coordinate/communicate with office volunteers
- Relay problems with physical facilities to Facilities Manager
- Special events planning/setup for staff and volunteer functions (office/staff parties, volunteer lunch, etc.)
- Arrange transportation, when needed, and manage travel-related invoices
HR Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Manager of Human Resources in administering and coordinating JBFC human resources policies, procedures, and programs
- Coordinate the JBFC recruitment process; review job postings, post on the JBFC website, and identify relevant external sites on which to post; ensure compliance with EEO policies and regulations; review resumes and coordinate interview process
- Coordinate the new hire intake process, ensuring all relevant paperwork is received and filed
- Manage the background check process, including submitting requests and monitoring results
- Maintain and update JBFC e-personnel files on a regular basis, ensuring efficiency and accuracy, as well as compliance with all HR policies and regulations
- Monitor benefits participation, including preparation and review of necessary spreadsheets and HR/payroll reports
- Other HR-related tasks as assigned by the Manager of HR
- Experience working in a busy office environment, with the ability to capably multitask in a fast-paced setting
- Excellent computer and Microsoft Office Suite skills (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Outstanding organizational, communication, and customer service skills
- Familiarity with general HR policies and processes, including recruitment and on-boarding
- Ability to maintain absolute privacy with regards to sensitive information and confidential personnel files
The Office Manager/HR Assistant will be expected to be in the office Monday-Friday, from 9:00 am – 2:00 pm (hours may be flexible). Salary will start at $18/hour.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Office Manager/ HR Assistant 18” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
The Jacob Burns Film Center seeks part-time, year-round ushers to support the operations of our five -screen, independent, art-house cinema. Ushers are responsible for the seating and safety of all audience members in all theaters.
Ushers are expected to provide the highest level of customer service to all audience members, visiting artists, special guests, and fellow staff members. Ushers are also expected to carry out any job function that theater management deems as appropriate and necessary for the purposes of caring for, maintaining, and improving our facilities, and customer experience.
- Politely assisting guests to the correct theater for their screening.
- Quickly and thoroughly cleaning theaters in between screenings. Visually sweep theaters for safety hazards and necessary repairs.
- Consistently maintain cleanliness of restrooms.
- High level of communication with managers, co-workers and patrons
- Provide undivided attention to patrons while assisting them with their needs
- Properly assisting guests with special needs
- Maintain the cleanliness of the building; lobby, restrooms and theaters
- Show up for shifts when scheduled, with flexibility for change in schedules
- Maintaining knowledge of current and future film programming and education courses.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Other duties as assigned.
Applicant should demonstrate the following:
- Outgoing personality with an interest or love of film
- Experience with customer service including volunteering and interning
- Leadership capabilities and self motivation to perform tasks and learn new things
- Ability to think quickly and remain calm in a busy environment
- Politeness and patience with the desire to work hard and have fun
Salaries are hourly and begin at $11.00/hour
Applicants must be available to work primarily evenings and weekends, and at least 3 shifts (20 hours) per week during these hours. The theater is open 365 days a year, and night/weekend/holiday availability and flexibility is a must.
Please click here for an application. Hiring remains open year-round. When positions become available, candidates who are being considered will be contacted to schedule an in-person interview.
Send completed application and references via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Theater Usher” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
We are not currently accepting interns at this time.
The Jacob Burns Film Center is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in hiring and employment on the basis of race, creed, sex, gender, religion, age, color, disability, marital status, national origin or citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, genetic predisposition and/or carrier status, veteran status, or any other classification as protected by law. Please inform the JBFC if you need any assistance with the instructions provided to participate in our application process. Questions and concerns may be directed to email@example.com