The House Manager is part of a team that reports to the Managers of Theater Operations, and plays a key role in the overall operation of the theater. The House Manager is expected to run the theater with or without the presence of senior staff. We are seeking an outgoing and highly organized individual who has experience with leadership, the public, and the arts to handle day to day front of house cinema operations for films and special events. Dedication to the goals of excellent customer service and outstanding film presentation is essential.
- A minimum of 1-3 years’ experience supervising staff and dealing directly with the general public within a movie theater, performing arts center, or other arts nonprofit institution.
- Customer service experience in a fast paced environment is essential.
- Experience with part-time staff management and development.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills within a team setting.
- Ability to communicate effectively with JBFC administrative staff as well as theater staff.
- Computer literate with excellent math skills and attention to detail.
- Experience handling money and reconciling accounts on a regular basis.
- Oversight of front of house staff (ushers, concessionaires, box office personnel, A/V staff), and ensuring that operations are running in a friendly, courteous, and efficient manner.
- Effective management of front of house operations and film/event presentation. An essential component of this includes the ability to quickly resolve issues with patrons courteously while dealing with real time situations.
- Oversight of concession stand ordering and reporting, with an eye to maximizing revenue.
Other Responsibilities include:
- Crowd control
- Developing and maintaining a team oriented atmosphere
- Maintaining a clean and safe environment
- Enforcing company policies and procedures
Excellent command of PC based office programs (Word, Excel and Office) required. Experience with box office software and systems (JBFC operates on the Tessitura platform) a decided plus.
This is a flexible full-time position. Shifts include night and weekend hours. Flexibility is a must!
Start date: Immediately
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Please send resume, cover letter, and three references via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org with
“House Manager 18” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
Website and Digital Services Manager
Part of our Marketing team, the Website and Digital Services Manager is responsible for developing, managing and maintaining the website and ticketing systems for the organization.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interface with Tessitura, JBFC’s CRM for ticketing, fundraising, customer relationship management, and support tickets
- Manage organizational web structure, both public- and private-facing
- Manage and adjust the online experience based on analytics data and A/B tests to align with business goals
- Work with Customer Service to identify areas of improvement for the online user experience
- Design custom queries and processes based on business goals for non-technical users
- With direction from designers, produce templates and public-facing web experiences
- Advise different departments on structuring web experiences/offers/landing pages to achieve specific business goals
- Work as part of team investigating new technologies and evaluating them for the institution
- Liaise with and oversee outside vendors as needed
- Knowledgeable in relational databases (SQL and variants)
- Basic knowledge of Git and other command line utilities
- WordPress management and customization (PHP experience a plus)
- Experience with HTML email and Email Service Providers (Mailchimp, Sendgrid, Postmark, etc)
- Experience with analytics and optimization tools (Google Analytics, Tag Manager and Optimize)
- System and cloud administration (Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Heroku, etc)
- Basic Windows troubleshooting
- Availability to deal with occasional service issues outside of regular office hours.
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package including paid health insurance for the employee.
Please send resume, cover letter and three references via email only to email@example.com with “Website and Digital Services Manager 17” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
The Jacob Burns Film Center seeks part-time, year-round ushers to support the operations of our five -screen, independent, art-house cinema. Ushers are responsible for the seating and safety of all audience members in all theaters.
Ushers are expected to provide the highest level of customer service to all audience members, visiting artists, special guests, and fellow staff members. Ushers are also expected to carry out any job function that theater management deems as appropriate and necessary for the purposes of caring for, maintaining, and improving our facilities, and customer experience.
- Politely assisting guests to the correct theater for their screening.
- Quickly and thoroughly cleaning theaters in between screenings. Visually sweep theaters for safety hazards and necessary repairs.
- Consistently maintain cleanliness of restrooms.
- High level of communication with managers, co-workers and patrons
- Provide undivided attention to patrons while assisting them with their needs
- Properly assisting guests with special needs
- Maintain the cleanliness of the building; lobby, restrooms and theaters
- Show up for shifts when scheduled, with flexibility for change in schedules
- Maintaining knowledge of current and future film programming and education courses.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Other duties as assigned.
Applicant should demonstrate the following:
- Outgoing personality with an interest or love of film
- Experience with customer service including volunteering and interning
- Leadership capabilities and self motivation to perform tasks and learn new things
- Ability to think quickly and remain calm in a busy environment
- Politeness and patience with the desire to work hard and have fun
Salaries are hourly and begin at $11.00/hour
Applicants must be available to work primarily evenings and weekends, and at least 3 shifts (20 hours) per week during these hours. The theater is open 365 days a year, and night/weekend/holiday availability and flexibility is a must.
Please click here for an application. Hiring remains open year-round. When positions become available, candidates who are being considered will be contacted to schedule an in-person interview.
Send completed application and references via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Theater Usher” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
We are not currently accepting interns at this time.
The Jacob Burns Film Center is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in hiring and employment on the basis of race, creed, sex, gender, religion, age, color, disability, marital status, national origin or citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, genetic predisposition and/or carrier status, veteran status, or any other classification as protected by law. Please inform the JBFC if you need any assistance with the instructions provided to participate in our application process. Questions and concerns may be directed to email@example.com