JBFC Community Code of Conduct
Thank you for visiting the Jacob Burns Film Center (JBFC), a nonprofit, community-supported cultural and educational organization. We are a community of film lovers, media makers, and knowledge seekers who strive to create an inclusive, welcoming, and safe environment where everyone can enjoy our exceptional film and education programs. We represent diverse views and experiences and we aim to treat one another—filmgoers and staff alike—with respect, courtesy, and kindness.
We adhere to proper movie-going etiquette, including:
- Keeping our electronic devices dark, silent, and out of sight.
- Avoiding disruptions of films in progress with conversation and loud noises.
- Protecting our theater seats by keeping our feet on the floor, with shoes on.
- Refraining from smoking, vaping, or chewing tobacco in any area of the JBFC campus.
- Understanding that, for everyone’s safety, extra seats cannot be added to sold-out screenings.
- Following all JBFC staff member instructions and theater policies.
Most importantly, we value the personal safety of all members of our community. For this reason, the following activities are strictly prohibited:
- Harassment, discrimination, intimidation, or bullying of any kind (both on our campus and on social media channels). This includes the use of slurs, epithets, and negative stereotyping.
- Possessing and/or consuming alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs in our theaters, or anywhere on the JBFC campus. Only alcoholic beverages purchased from the JBFC Theater or provided at a JBFC event may be consumed on our campus.
- Bringing dangerous and unauthorized materials such as explosives, firearms/weapons (real or simulated), or other similar items into our theaters or anywhere on the JBFC campus.
- Any conduct that endangers the life, safety, health, or well-being of any customer, guest, employee, vendor, or other member of our film community.
What to do:
If you experience or witness any inappropriate conduct, let a JBFC staff member or House Manager know right away. You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (please provide your contact information, and as many details as possible).
If you feel you are in immediate danger, please alert a JBFC staff member, move to a safe location, and call 911.
A serious, but important note:
JBFC reserves the right to remove any person from the JBFC facilities or campus for violations of the Community Code of Conduct, including the right to revoke membership and/or ban any person who does not adhere to the Code of Conduct, without notice or refund, from all future JBFC events, programs, and the JBFC campus.
The Community Code of Conduct applies to all customers, ticketholders, students, parents, members, donors, board members, employees, vendors, press, visitors, and guests. By visiting our campus or engaging with the JBFC community through phone/email communication or social media channels, you acknowledge that you are aware of and will adhere to this code of conduct.