Facility and Equipment Use
- The Jacob Burns Film Center (JBFC)’s Media Arts Lab (Lab) houses state-of-the-art production facilities and filmmaking equipment, which are available FOR THE EXCLUSIVE USE OF CURRENTLY ENROLLED STUDENTS FOR COURSE PROJECTS and for participating school and group programs.
- Students are expected to treat the facilities and equipment with the highest degree of care. If an instructor deems that a student has intentionally misused the facilities or equipment, the student will be removed from class and will not be permitted to register for future courses at the Lab.
- If a course requires work outside of class time, students are encouraged to use their own equipment or computer, if compatible with the Lab’s equipment. The Lab’s equipment and editing facilities are available to students outside of class time, if necessary for course projects. All associated costs are included in the course fee. To borrow equipment or use the facility outside of class time, the student (or parent/guardian) must sign an Equipment and Facilities Usage Contract, which sets forth the rules and makes him/her financially responsible for the equipment. The contract is available from the course instructor.
- The Media Arts Lab is a fully air-conditioned, smoke-free facility.
- Food and drink are prohibited in the production and screening areas.
Hours of Operation
The Media Arts Lab administrative offices are open Monday–Friday, 9:00 am–5:00 pm. The building is closed on all major holidays.
Photography and Publicity
Photographs, videotaping, and filming of JBFC activities and programs are used for publicity and/or promotion of the JBFC. Those who do not want to be photographed or filmed for any purpose are asked to submit a written statement to the registrar. If a school group will be filmed or photographed, we will contact the teacher with as much advance notice as possible to request media releases.
Students take all courses at their own risk and waive the right to make any claims against Jacob Burns Film Center, Inc. for any injury, damage, or loss sustained while on their premises at 405 Manville Rd., 364 Manville Rd., and 5 Grant St., Pleasantville, NY 10570. We are not responsible for theft, loss, or damage to students’ personal belongings.
Code of Conduct and Attendance
Students are expected to contribute to class activities, maintain a positive attitude, and exhibit respect for others at all times. The JBFC reserves the right to remove a student from a class, without refund, if this policy is violated or if more than two class meetings in a semester are missed.
Spaces are reserved in every course for those who demonstrate financial need. We encourage everyone to seek the support that will allow then to participate in Lab programs. Full and partial scholarships are available.
The JBFC’s Media Arts Lab is located at 405 Manville Rd, Pleasantville, NY 10570
The JBFC’s Theater is located at 364 Manville Road, Pleasantville, NY 10570
There is no parking at the Lab. Parking is available in municipal lots.
- Arriving by train: The Pleasantville Metro-North station is directly across the street from the Lab.
- Arriving by bus: Westchester County Beeline buses #6 and #19 stop at the Pleasantville train station, across the street from the Media Arts Lab.
- Drop-offs: Please drop off students promptly at the front entrance only. The Lab driveway is one way. Enter from Manville Rd. and exit onto Grant St.
Phone: 914.773.7663, ext. 8