Yourself and Yours
Purchase a virtual screening of Yourself and Yours!
You can purchase a digital screening of Yourself and Yours for only $12, after which you’ll have 72 hours to watch the film in a virtual screening room created just for patrons of the JBFC.
Each screening of Yourself and Yours purchased during this period will provide much-needed support to both the JBFC and Cinema Guild—who will evenly split the revenue—as we navigate these uncharted waters.
Any questions? Check out our Virtual Screening Room FAQ.
A note from Senior Programmer Andrew Jupin: I’m hard-pressed to think of another working director who crafts films that can be at once these quiet, funny, romantic fantasies, and at the same time serve as emotionally realistic and grounded works that urge self-reflection on one’s own past decisions in relationships. Indeed, Director Hong has crafted his own brand of films inside a career that has been going for almost a quarter century. Made in 2016 and only now seeing a proper release here in the US–the film was an official selection at the 54th New York Film Festival–Yourself and Yours is right at home in Hong’s mighty oeuvre. One of the most prolific filmmakers working today, this was his 18th film and he’s already gone on to direct six more. Come for the long takes and emotional analysis of paranoia and self-doubt in romantic relationships, but stay for the enviably beautiful moments of people chatting and having a smoke over beers, soju, and food in a tiny outdoor cafe while a gentle rain falls around them!
About Yourself and Yours:
2016. 86 m. Hong Sangsoo. Cinema Guild. South Korea. Korean with subtitles. NR.
One of Hong Sangsoo’s most delightful comic mysteries is finally available in the U.S.! When painter Youngsoo (Kim Joohyuk) learns that his girlfriend, Minjung (Lee Yooyoung), was seen having drinks with another man, he can’t help but question her about it. It doesn’t go well, and they part on bad terms. The next day Youngsoo tries to find her, but can’t. As he wanders and frets, Minjung has a series of encounters with other men. But to them, it seems she’s not herself.
Featuring a supporting cast of Hong regulars including Kwon Haehyo, Yu Junsang, and Kim Euisung, Yourself and Yours is a pleasing puzzle full of mistaken identity, excessive drinking, and lots of he-said, she-said. As the rumors pile up, Hong asks: In a relationship, how important is it to know everything?
How to watch:
1. Click this link to visit VHX’s virtual cinema platform, where your one-time purchase of $12 will give you access to your virtual ticket to view the film.
2. To ensure that you are able to pause and revisit the film within your rental period, you will be required to create a free account.
3. After you have created an account and entered your payment information, your rental period will start immediately and last for 72 hours. You can view the film via the link in the receipt sent to your email, or simply click “Watch Film” when the confirmation page appears directly after purchase.
4. You will be able to easily watch the film at any time within this period on any of the following platforms:
a. SMART TV (using the browser on your Android TV, Fire TV, or Chromecast)
b. MOBILE DEVICE (iPhone, iPad, Android)
c. COMPUTER (by clicking on the link in your email receipt)
6. Please feel free to reach out to JBFC support for non-streaming questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.