You can order a virtual screening of The Hole for only $8, after which you’ll have three days to watch the film in an online screening room created just for patrons of the JBFC.
With each screening of The Hole purchased during this period, you’ll provide much-needed support to both the JBFC and Big World Pictures—who will evenly split the revenue—as we work together to continue bringing our audiences exciting new and repertory releases.
Any questions? Check out our Virtual Screening Room FAQ.
About The Hole:
1998. 89 m. Tsai Ming-liang. Big World Pictures. Taiwan/France. Mandarin/Taiwanese w/ English subtitles.
Set just prior to the start of the 21st century, this vaguely futuristic story follows two residents of a rapidly crumbling building who refuse to leave their homes in spite of a virus that has forced the evacuation of the area. As rain pours down relentlessly, a single man is stuck with an unfinished plumbing job and a hole in his floor, resulting in a very odd relationship with the woman who lives downstairs. Combining deadpan humor with an austere view of loneliness and a couple of unexpected musical numbers, Tsai Ming-Liang crafted one of the most original films of the 1990s. Produced for French television’s 2000 Seen by… series, this was originally broadcast in a 69-minute version called Last Dance. This longer version is the director’s preferred cut.
- To take advantage of this screening option, you will follow this link to Big World Picture’s site. You will first need to register on this site with your own personal login details (you will not have access through your existing JBFC account). It’s very easy! You will enter your name and email address and set a password. Signing up is totally free.
- This film can be viewed on any computer, laptop, iPad, Chromebook, or other mobile device.
- IMPORTANT: The only way to watch this film on a television is to mirror or cast from one of the above devices to your television, or connect your laptop/device directly to an input on your television via HDMI or VGA cables.
- Please feel free to reach out to JBFC support for non-streaming questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note that we are unable to offer member prices.