You can order a virtual screening of Sicilia! for only $12, after which you’ll have three days to watch the film in an online screening room created just for patrons of the JBFC.
With each screening of Sicilia! purchased during this period, you’ll provide much-needed support to both the JBFC and Grasshopper Films—who will evenly split the revenue—as we work together to continue bringing our audiences exciting new and repertory releases.
Any questions? Check out our Virtual Screening Room FAQ.
1999. 66 m. Danièle Huillet and Jean-Marie Straub. Grasshopper Films. Italy. Italian w/ subtitles.
Something as simple as a herring roasting on a hearth or a meal of bread, wine and winter melon takes on the humble aura of a Caravaggio painting in this masterful film from legendary filmmakers Jean-Marie Straub and Daniele Huillet. Sicilia! is a tragicomedy involving an orange peddler, an Italian recently returned from America, two “stinky” police officers, a guilt-stricken landowner, a traveling knife sharpener and, perhaps most unforgettably, an indomitable peasant mother who reminisces about meals of snails and wild chicory, her husband’s philandering and cowardice, and her own father’s belief in an honest day’s labor, socialism, and St. Joseph.
- To take advantage of this screening option, you will follow this link to Grasshopper’s site. You will first need to register on this site with your own personal login details (you will not have access through your existing JBFC account). It’s very easy! You will enter your name and email address and set a password. Signing up is totally free.
- This film can be viewed on any computer, laptop, iPad, Chromebook, or other mobile device.
- IMPORTANT: The only way to watch this film on a television is to mirror or cast from one of the above devices to your television, or connect your laptop/device directly to an input on your television via HDMI or VGA cables.
- Please feel free to reach out to JBFC support for non-streaming questions at email@example.com.
- Please note that we are unable to offer member prices.