You can order a digital screening of Flannery for only $10, after which you’ll have 7 days to start the film and 24 hours to finish it in a virtual screening room created just for patrons of the JBFC.
With each screening of Flannery purchased during this period, you’ll provide much-needed support to both the JBFC and Long Distance Productions—who will evenly split the revenue—as we work together to continue bringing our audiences exciting new and repertory releases.
Any questions? Check out our Virtual Screening Room FAQ.
2019. 97 m. Elizabeth Coffman/Mark Bosco. Long Distance Productions. US. English. NR.
Winner of the first-ever Library of Congress Lavine/Ken Burns Prize for Film, Flannery is the lyrical, intimate exploration of the life and work of author Flannery O’Connor, whose distinctive Southern Gothic style influenced a generation of artists and activists. With her family home at Andalusia (the Georgia farm where she grew up and later wrote her best known work) as a backdrop, a picture of the woman behind her sharply aware, starkly redemptive style comes into focus.
Including conversations with those who knew her and those inspired by her (Mary Karr, Tommy Lee Jones, Lucinda Williams, Hilton Als, and more), Flannery employs never-before-seen archival footage, newly discovered personal letters, and her own published words (read by actor Mary Steenburgen) alongside original animations and music to examine the life and legacy of an American literary icon.
Content Advisory: This film contains offensive language, including a slur that—in an effort to retain the integrity of the literary works examined therein—has not been muted or otherwise distorted in the presentation of the documentary. Racist language was wrong during Flannery O’Connor’s lifetime and is wrong today. This film, the filmmakers, and those presenting the film do not condone, support, or promote the use of racist language in any way.
- To take advantage of this screening option, you will follow this link to Eventive. You will first need to register on this site with your own personal login details (you will not have access through your existing JBFC account). It’s very easy! You will enter your name and email address and set a password. Signing up is totally free.
- This film can be viewed on any computer, laptop, iPad, Chromebook, or other mobile device.
- IMPORTANT: The only way to watch this film on a television is to mirror or cast from one of the above devices to your television or connect your laptop/device directly to an input on your television via HDMI or VGA cables.
- For any questions regarding streaming connection or payment issues, you will need to visit Eventive’s help page.
- Please feel free to reach out to JBFC support for non-streaming questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note that we are unable to offer member prices.