The August Virgin
You can order a virtual screening of The August Virgin for just $11.99, after which you’ll have 30 days to start the film. Once you’ve started, you can watch as many times as you’d like within the next 48 hours, all in an online screening room created just for patrons of the JBFC.
With each screening of The August Virgin purchased during this period, you’ll provide much-needed support to both the JBFC and Outsider Pictures—who will evenly split the revenue—as we work together to continue bringing our audience exciting new and repertory releases.
Any questions? Check out our Virtual Screening Room FAQ.
About The August Virgin:
2020. 129 m. Jonás Trueba. Outsider Pictures. Spain. Spanish w/ subtitles. NR but contains sexual situations and nudity.
Up-and-coming Spanish filmmaker Jonás Trueba’s new film, The August Virgin (La virgen de agosto), is a perfect summer movie, an Éric Rohmer-esque love letter to Madrid and affairs of the heart. Eva (played by the film’s co-writer, the luminescent Itsaso Arana) is about to turn 33. Her decision to stay in Madrid in the sweltering month of August, when most of the city’s inhabitants flee, is something of a leap of faith—she’s in search of herself and her own life. The neighborhoods around her burst with traditional Saint’s Days parties and celebrations while she encounters a series of old friends and lovers, and meets some new ones. A former boyfriend who still pines for her, a young mother with whom Eva has lost touch, a sexy Welsh guy with a thing for anti-fascist songs, a Reiki therapist who wants to align her female energies, and a new possible love interest are just a few of the characters that fill her month of revelations, regrets, and discoveries. The August Virgin is the journey of one woman; a dreamy, sensual summer story of delayed coming-of-age, dancing in the streets, and good conversation. With music from and an appearance by well-known Spanish singer Soleá Moreno.
Free live stream Q&As with director Jonás Trueba and star Itsaso Arana take place on Saturday 8/22 and 8/29 at 5:00 pm (EST), moderated by filmmaker and film programmer Robert Rosenberg. Registration required in advance on Zoom; click here to register for Q&A.
The August Virgin is presented with support from the JBFC World Cinema Fund, sponsored by Wine Enthusiast.
- To take advantage of this screening option, you will follow this link to ROW8. You will first need to register on this site with your own personal login details (you will not have access through your existing JBFC account). It’s very easy! You will enter your name and email address and set a password. Signing up is totally free and you can opt out of any email communication from them.
- You can watch ROW8 movies on most popular platforms, including Roku, Samsung Smart TVs, Apple and Android mobile devices, most Web browsers, and via Chromecast and Airplay.
Note that you can rent movies on either ROW8.com or the ROW8 Roku app. Once you have rented a movie, you can watch it on any device linked to your account.
- For any questions regarding applicable devices, streaming connection or payment issues, you will need to visit ROW8’s FAQ page.
- Please feel free to reach out to JBFC support for non-streaming questions at email@example.com.
- Please note that we are unable to offer member prices.