Part-Time House Manager
The Jacob Burns Film Center is a nonprofit cultural and educational institution located in Pleasantville NY whose mission is dedicated to presenting the best of independent, documentary, and world cinema, promoting visual literacy, and making film a vibrant part of the community. We seek a part-time House Manager to join the Theater Staff team for our five-screen independent cinema, which is typically open every day of the year and receives 225,000 patrons annually (when there are no COVID-mandated shutdowns).
The House Manager is part of a team that reports to the Manager of Theater Operations and plays a key role in the overall operation of the theater. The House Manager is expected to run the theater with or without the presence of senior staff.
We are seeking an outgoing and highly organized individual who has experience with leadership, the public, and the arts, to handle day-to-day front of house cinema operations for films and special events. Dedication to the goals of excellent customer service and outstanding film presentation is essential.
- A minimum of 1-3 years’ experience supervising staff and dealing directly with the general public in a fast-paced environment is essential. Experience in a movie theater, performing arts center, or other arts nonprofit institution is a decided plus.
- Experience with part-time staff management, oversight, and development.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills within a team setting.
- Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers, vendors, and guests.
- Computer literate, with the ability to independently troubleshoot Front of House equipment and technology.
- Experience handling money and reconciling daily accounts, with excellent quantitative skills and attention to detail.
- Oversight of front of house staff (ushers, concessionaires, Audience Service Associates, A/V staff), and ensuring that operations are running in a friendly, safe, courteous, and efficient manner.
- Effective management of front of house operations and film/event presentation. An essential component of this includes the ability to quickly and courteously resolve issues with patrons while dealing with real-time situations.
- Maintaining a clean and safe environment that adheres to COVID protocols at all times.
- Assist with oversight of concession inventory and operations.
Other Responsibilities include:
- Effective audience and staff management in accordance with JBFC code of conduct.
- Developing and maintaining a team-oriented atmosphere
- Upholding company policies and procedures
Excellent command of PC-based Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, and Outlook) required. Experience with box office software and systems preferred (knowledge of Tessitura a decided plus).
This is a flexible part-time position. Shifts include night, weekend, and holiday hours. Flexibility is a must!
Start date: TBD pending post-COVID reopening
Hourly rate will be commensurate with experience.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “House Manager 21” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
Learn more about the organization at www.burnsfilmcenter.org
The Jacob Burns Film Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring and employment on the basis of race, creed, sex, gender, religion, age, color, disability, marital status, national origin or citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, genetic predisposition and/or carrier status, veteran status, or any other classification as protected by law. Please inform the JBFC if you need any assistance with the instructions provided to participate in our application process. Questions and concerns may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.