Woman on the Beach
You can purchase a digital screening of Woman on the Beach for only $12, after which you’ll have 72 hours to watch the film in a virtual screening room created just for patrons of the JBFC.
Each screening of Woman on the Beach purchased during this period will provide much-needed support to both the JBFC and Grasshopper Film—who will evenly split the revenue—as we navigate these uncharted waters.
Any questions? Check out our Virtual Screening Room FAQ.
About Woman on the Beach:
2006. 127 m. Hong Sangsoo. Grasshopper Film. South Korea. Korean with subtitles. NR.
“A bittersweet accounting of the geography of desire… Wry and tender and delicately melancholic… shows a newly confident filmmaker again working near the top of his form.” – Manohla Dargis, The New York Times
Filmmaker Joong-rae, suffering from writer’s block, takes a trip to the coast with his production designer Chang-wook, who brings along the vivacious Moon-sook. Soon after their arrival, Moon-sook falls for Joong-rae’s advances; however, the fickle hero can’t commit and he awkwardly parts with her. What had been a sardonic Jules and Jim turns into a burlesque Vertigo when Joong-rae returns to the coastal resort and attempts to recreate the original romance with a woman who resembles Moon-sook, until his jilted lover shows up…
A new 4K restoration completed by the Korean Film Archive from the original 35mm negative.
How to watch:
1. Click this link to visit VHX’s virtual cinema platform, where your one-time purchase of $12 will give you access to your virtual ticket to view the film.
2. To ensure that you are able to pause and revisit the film within your rental period, you will be required to create a free account.
3. After you have created an account and entered your payment information, your rental period will start immediately and last for 72 hours. You can view the film via the link in the receipt sent to your email, or simply click “Watch Film” when the confirmation page appears directly after purchase.
4. You will be able to easily watch the film at any time within this period on any of the following platforms:
a. SMART TV (using the browser on your Android TV, Fire TV, or Chromecast)
b. MOBILE DEVICE (iPhone, iPad, Android)
c. COMPUTER (by clicking on the link in your email receipt)
6. Please feel free to reach out to JBFC support for non-streaming questions at email@example.com.