The Green Years
You can order a virtual screening of The Green Years for only $9.99, after which you’ll have 3 days to watch the film in an online screening room created just for patrons of the JBFC.
With each screening of The Green Years purchased during this period, you’ll provide much-needed support to both the JBFC and Grasshopper Films—who will evenly split the revenue—as we work together to continue bringing our audiences exciting new and repertory releases.
Any questions? Check out our Virtual Screening Room FAQ.
About The Green Years:
1963. 89 m. Paulo Rocha. Grasshopper Films. Portugal. Portuguese w/ subtitles.
Never before released in the US, Paulo Rocha’s debut feature The Green Years—gloriously shot in black and white—is an extraordinary and haunting coming-of-age tale. Nineteen-year-old Julio heads to Lisbon from the provinces and gets a job as a shoemaker for his uncle Raul. But when he meets Ilda, a confident young housemaid who becomes a regular shop visitor, the two begin a tentative romance until the realities of the outside world come crashing through. Winner of Best First Film at the 1964 Locarno Film Festival.
New Digital Restoration by the Portuguese Cinematheque, supervised by Pedro Costa.
Starting 8/14, order a virtual screening of The Green Years!
- To take advantage of this screening option, you will follow this link to Grasshopper’s site. You will first need to register on this site with your own personal login details (you will not have access through your existing JBFC account). It’s very easy! You will enter your name and email address and set a password. Signing up is totally free.
- This film can be viewed on any computer, laptop, iPad, Chromebook, or other mobile device.
- IMPORTANT: The only way to watch this film on a television is to mirror or cast from one of the above devices to your television, or connect your laptop/device directly to an input on your television via HDMI or VGA cables.
- Please feel free to reach out to JBFC support for non-streaming questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note that we are unable to offer member prices.