You can order a virtual screening of Shanghai Triad for only $10, after which you’ll have 3 days to watch the film in an online screening room created just for patrons of the JBFC.
With each screening of Shanghai Triad purchased during this period, you’ll provide much-needed support to both the JBFC and Film Movement—who will evenly split the revenue—as we work together to continue bringing our audiences exciting new and repertory releases.
Any questions? Check out our Virtual Screening Room FAQ.
About Shanghai Triad:
1995. 108 m. Zhang Yimou. Film Movement Classics. China. Mandarin w/ subtitles. R.
Academy Award and Golden Globe nominee Shanghai Triad is a thrilling and sumptuously-stylized potboiler about the Chinese criminal underworld of the 1930’s, from legendary director Zhang Yimou (Raise the Red Lantern, House of Flying Daggers).
Hired as a servant to pampered nightclub singer and mob moll Xiao Jinbao (Gong Li, 2046, Farewell My Concubine), naive teenager Shuisheng (Wang Xiaoxiao) is thrust into the glamorous and deadly demimonde of Shanghai’s crime syndicates. Over the course of seven days, Shuisheng observes mounting tensions as triad boss Tang begins to suspect traitors amongst his ranks and rivals for Xiao Jinbao’s affections. Zhang’s inventive take on the gangster film is “assured and attention-grabbing,” (Variety) and Gong’s central performance, “a portrait of a capricious and indulgent woman who gains depth as we watch her—is one of her finest” (Chicago Tribune).
- To take advantage of this screening option, you will follow this link to Film Movement’s site. You will first need to register on this site with your own personal login details (you will not have access through your existing JBFC account). It’s very easy! You will enter your name and email address and set a password. Signing up is totally free.
- This film can be viewed on any computer, laptop, iPad, Chromebook, or other mobile device.
- IMPORTANT: The only way to watch this film on a television is to mirror or cast from one of the above devices to your television, or connect your laptop/device directly to an input on your television via HDMI or VGA cables.
- For any questions regarding streaming connection or payment issues, you will need to visit Film Movement’s FAQ page or fill out this form.
- Please feel free to reach out to JBFC support for non-streaming questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note that we are unable to offer member prices.