Posted September 18, 2018
JBFC Mixtapes is a new initiative from the Burns to highlight the music—from soundtracks to scores—that makes the cinematic experience so special. Vol. 11 comes from Peter Pucci, choreographer and curator of Dancers Dancing, a program of dance shorts from our Dance on Film series. He writes:
“This playlist represents an eclectic mix of my musical interests. I like to keep a file of great pieces of music I have heard in movies. I’m also curious to hear what kind of musical choices other choreographers choose when creating dance. There are a lot of awesome and unexpected choices included on this mixtape from many of the Dance on Film series presented by JBFC. Some of the movie songs on this playlist have inspired me to choreograph new dances. Music goes hand-in-hand with choreography and I’m always surprised and amazed by the extraordinary music that accompanies movies.”
- “Fever” by Ray Charles and Natalie Cole, from The Spot, a dance short from this year’s Dance on Film series.
- “Waterways” by Ludovico Einaudi, from the short In the Garden, which screened as part of Dance on Film 2015.
- “Green Grass” by Tom Waits, from Competing for Sunlight: Ash, a dance short from this year’s Dance on Film series.
- “Metamorphosis” by Philip Glass, from the dance short Being and Nothingness, which screened as part of Dance on Film 2017.
- “Sweet in the Morning” by Bobby McFerrin, from the dance short Sweet in the Morning, which screened as part of Dance on Film 2017.
- “Harry Lime Theme” by Anton Karas, from the film The Third Man.
- “Anticipation of New” by AQ, from Apache Crew, a dance short from this year’s Dance on Film series.
- “Escualo” by Astor Piazzolla – the version played by Camerata Portena, from the dance short Escualo (“A Dance Scene”), which screened as part of Dance on Film 2017.
- “Offing” by Julianna Barwick, from a past Dance on Film title.
- “Bossa Nova Baby (Viva Elvis)” by Elvis Presley, from the dance short 10 Men.
- “Cuckoo” by Benjamin Britten, from the Wes Anderson film Moonrise Kingdom.
- “Comeback” by Prince, from a past Dance on Film title.
Peter’s playlist got you itching to hit the dance floor? Join us for JBFC original series Dance on Film from Oct. 3–14, and don’t miss Peter at Dancers Dancing on Sunday, Oct. 14! Dance on Film is made possible through the generosity of an anonymous donor.