Become a Certified Image, Sound, and Story Educator
To become a Certified Image, Sound, and Story Educator, a teacher must attend professional development during the three-day Summer Teacher Institute or a two-day training during the school year. Certification is for one year and may be renewed pending commitment and communication with the JBFC.
Professional development is a hands-on, interactive experience at the Media Arts Lab, led by JBFC’s faculty, which provides:
- Modeling instruction for facilitating film discussions.
- Best practices for managing small-group production activities.
- Lesson plans, inspiration, and structured support for integrating Image, Sound, and Story into existing units of study.
- Technical support for capturing and editing audio and video.
Professional development is offered during the summer at the three-day Summer Teacher Institute or during the school year at a two-day training.
$500 per educator – Summer Teacher Institute
$375 per educator – two-day sessions
$450/$325 per educator who participate in the School Partnership
All professional development sessions are held at the JBFC Media Arts Lab, 405 Manville Rd., Pleasantville, NY.
Certified Educators receive:
- Eligibility to participate in the School Partnership program
- Image, Sound, and Story curriculum content, including all short films, media creation activities, and extension projects; Teacher’s Guide; and standards alignment.
- One Image, Sound, and Story screening — an interactive field trip with your class to the JBFC Theater or Media Arts Lab. The experience of seeing a feature film on the big screen is a hallmark of the JBFC. At the screening, a JBFC educator will help students apply the language of film they’ve learned in Image, Sound, and Story in the classroom, and facilitate a meaningful conversation about themes in the film, which can include immigration, representation, human rights, and more.
- Priority access to Classroom to Screening Room, feature film screenings at the JBFC Theater, with filmmakers and other special guests.
- Access to monthly Community Gatherings, which extend professional development through additional production and postproduction practice, film screenings, and integration inspiration.
- Access to additional professional development for Image, Sound, and Story literacy projects (Character, Setting, Structure, etc.).
- Eligibility for additional professional development that integrates core subjects with Image, Sound, and Story, such as Created Equal for Social Studies and Focus on Nature for Science.
- Film Fan Membership to the JBFC, valued at $85.
- Complimentary ticket offers for special events and screenings.
- And more!