Office Manager/Human Resources Coordinator
The Jacob Burns Film Center is a nonprofit cultural and educational institution located in Pleasantville NY whose mission is dedicated to presenting the best of independent, documentary, and world cinema, promoting visual literacy, and making film a vibrant part of the community. The JBFC is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse team and is working to further the goals of diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism at all levels. We are seeking an Office Manager/Human Resources Coordinator to support our General Manager and Director of Human Resources.
The Office Manager/Human Resources Coordinator will be responsible for serving as the Office Manager for the JBFC Executive Offices (two locations), while also helping to support the day-to-day operations of the Human Resources function throughout the organization. The Office Manager/Human Resources Coordinator will routinely collaborate with all departments and most employees within the JBFC
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Office Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- Welcome new staff to JBFC and help them learn the systems and facilities available to them, including access to technology or other equipment, meeting space requests, and other general aspects of learning a new organization.
- Foster collaborative working environment throughout the JBFC
- Coordinate efficient shared use and maintenance of office appliances and equipment (kitchen, copier, printers, postage meter, etc.)
- Relay problems with physical facilities to Facilities Director and assist in resolving, where appropriate
- Identify opportunities for staff events, solicit needed approvals, and work with volunteers to program on behalf of the staff. (Staff/volunteer appreciation events, social opportunities, holiday celebrations, office luncheons, etc.)
- Arrange transportation, when needed, and manage travel-related invoices.
- Oversee roll out of new administrative technology including deployment of hardware and software and including staff training
- Oversee space usage within the Media Lab including office reorganization, workstation assignments and consolidation, and management of storage areas
- Taking into account priorities of the ED and GM, create collaborative process to design options for how unassigned spaces can/should be utilized, obtain appropriate approvals, and oversee implementation and maintenance of final plans
- Oversee special projects to enhance JBFC’s efficiency as assigned by the GM or ED
- Serve as back up to the assistant to the ED and GM when needed especially in Board and VIP correspondence/coordination
- Receive, sort and distribute incoming/outgoing mail, packages, and deliveries daily; bring metered mail/Fed Ex to post office at the end of the day
- Greet visitors to the Media Lab; maintain visitor Sign-In sheet; meet with scheduled and walk-in vendors and visitors as appropriate
- Answer JBFC general information phone line, field/direct calls, and manage general messages.
- Order office supplies for all departments as needed; manage storage/organization of office supply and equipment inventory
- Maintain tidiness and organization of executive office kitchen. Communicate and encourage shared responsibility for cleanliness and tidiness. Maintain stock of JBFC kitchen supplies.
- Coordinate/communicate with office volunteers
Human Resources Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the Director of Human Resources in administering and coordinating JBFC human resources policies, procedures, and programs
- Coordinate the JBFC recruitment process; review job postings, post on the JBFC website, and identify relevant external sites on which to post (aligning with recommendations from DEI Committee); ensure compliance with EEO policies and regulations; review resumes and coordinate interview process
- Coordinate the new hire intake process, ensuring all relevant paperwork is received and filed
- Manage the background check process, including submitting requests and monitoring results
- Maintain and update JBFC e-personnel files on a regular basis, ensuring efficiency and accuracy, as well as compliance with all HR policies and regulations
- Maintain and update Employee Handbook as needed
- Complete and e-file all required federal and NYS government surveys and reports
- Maintain and update staff job descriptions as needed
- Monitor benefits participation, including preparation and review of necessary spreadsheets and HR/payroll reports
- Serve as backup to Finance Assistant regarding payroll processing when necessary
- Create and keep current, new employee orientation with staff manual covering office IT, procurement, facilities, telecom, access to office resources and equipment and other issues helpful to new employees in all work locations
- Keep apprised of recommended and mandated changes to office operational health and safety plan, in light of COVID-19 pandemic, and implement all relevant best practices.
- Identify opportunities to foster a positive office culture, seeking ways to support employees at all levels
Other duties and responsibilities
- Other HR-related tasks as assigned by the Director of Human Resources
- Other office/administration-related tasks as assigned by the General Manager
- Experience working in a busy office environment, with the ability to accurately multitask in a fast-paced setting
- Excellent computer and Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Outstanding organizational, communication, and customer service skills
- Familiarity with and interest in general HR policies and processes, including recruitment and onboarding. Previous HR experience not required
- Maintain absolute privacy while working with sensitive information, confidential personnel files and other protected information
The position requires a Monday-Friday, 9:00 am-5:00 pm work schedule. Office Manager duties are expected to be fulfilled on-site Monday-Friday, with remote flexibility as necessary and appropriate.
Start date: ASAP
Salary range: $45,000-$50,000
The JBFC offers an excellent benefit package, including:
- Unlimited PTO after two years of service (23 days of annual PTO for first 2 years)
- Generous sick leave
- Fully covered Paid Family Leave (PFL) for all FT staff
- Summer Fridays
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, including a generous HRA to cover deductibles, as well as a Flexible Spending Account
- 403(b) plan (non-matching)
- Potential for flex work schedule (in office vs. remote)
- Annual Professional Development fund
- One paid Volunteer Day per 12 month period
- Office located across the street from Metro North station (Harlem Line)
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Office Manager/HR Coordinator 21” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
The Jacob Burns Film Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring and employment on the basis of race, creed, sex, gender, religion, age, color, disability, marital status, national origin or citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, genetic predisposition and/or carrier status, veteran status, or any other classification as protected by law. Please inform the JBFC if you need any assistance with the instructions provided to participate in our application process. Questions and concerns may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about the organization at www.burnsfilmcenter.org