Job Title: Finance Associate
Reports to: Controller
The Jacob Burns Film Center (JBFC) is a nonprofit cultural and educational institution located in Pleasantville, NY, dedicated to presenting the best of independent narrative, documentary, and world cinema, promoting visual literacy, and making film a vibrant part of the community.
The Finance Associate provides support to the Controller, who is responsible for the overall accounting operations of the JBFC, including general ledger accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, and internal controls.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the primary paymaster for the JBFC, using Paychex Flex. Work closely with HR entering and maintaining employee records in the payroll system. Post payroll journal entries to G/L.
- Supervise all aspects of Accounts Payable – entering/paying bills within QuickBooks. Work with department heads to get approval on all invoices, execute online bill payments, and assist with coding invoices.
- Execute the physical day-to-day activities of the finance office, including daily online bank deposits, setting up & tracking a Cash Receipts journal.
- Post daily ticket and membership sales revenue into G/L and reconcile with POS (Tessitura) system.
- Disseminate the monthly Amex statement to department heads, assist with coding, and post to G/L.
- Assist with the month end close, including bank reconciliations, and posting miscellaneous journal entries.
- Prepare reports and schedules for the annual audit as needed by the Controller. Provide onsite support to auditors during the annual audit. Assist with 403B audit as needed.
- Provide onsite support to the JBFC staff as needed.
Preferred Experience and Qualities:
- Knowledge of QB, Enterprise 2022 Non-profit (preferable)
- Knowledge of payroll systems, preferably Paychex
- Knowledge of and 1+ years’ experience in computerized payroll systems required. Direct experience with Paychex a significant plus.
- Working knowledge of accounting software. Direct experience with accounts payable and receivable, and vouchering of invoices using QuickBooks (non-profit preferable), a significant plus.
- Ability to work as a team member and to work independently with initiative.
- Strong organizational skills with excellent attention to detail required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Engaging interpersonal skills and a high level of discretion
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Finance/Accounting (preferable) or Associates Degree in Accounting (or comparable experience)
Start date: ASAP
Salary range: $50K – $55K
The JBFC offers an excellent benefit package, including:
- Unlimited PTO after two years of service (23 days of annual PTO for the first 2 years)
- Generous sick leave
- Fully-covered Paid Family Leave (PFL) for all full-time staff
- 100 percent employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for staff members, including a generous HRA to cover deductibles, as well as a Flexible Spending Account
- 403(b) plan (non-matching)
- Potential for Flexible Work Arrangements
- Annual professional development fund
- One paid volunteer day per 12 month period
- Office located across the street from Metro North station (Harlem Line)
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with
“Finance Associate 22” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please.
Learn more about the organization at burnsfilmcenter.org
The Jacob Burns Film Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in hiring and employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, creed, sex, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic predisposition and/or carrier status, disability, age, religion, marital status, national origin or citizenship status, veteran status, or any other classification as protected by law. We hire and promote individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply for positions to be filled. Please inform the JBFC if you need any assistance with the instructions provided to participate in our application process. Questions and concerns may be directed to email@example.com
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties and responsibilities that are required of this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned.