The Jacob Burns Film Center is a nonprofit cultural and educational institution located in Pleasantville, NY whose mission is dedicated to presenting the best of independent, documentary, and world cinema, promoting visual literacy, and making film a vibrant part of the community. We are seeking a Controller to join our Finance team.
The Controller is responsible for the overall accounting operations of the JBFC, including general ledger accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, and internal controls. The Controller will work with colleagues throughout the organization and senior management to ensure the accuracy of the JBFC’s reported financial results in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all accounting functions for the JBFC
- Prepare reconciliations and rollforwards of asset and liability accounts, including cash, prepaids, fixed assets and accrued expenses
- Analyze and account for investments, including endowment and other restricted funds
- Maintain schedule of restricted net assets and ensure revenue is released in the correct period
- Record contributions revenue, including pledges receivable, and reconcile the general ledger (Quickbooks) and Tessitura on a monthly basis
- Allocate and record membership revenue to correct period; periodically review and update allocation methodology
- Reconcile and record theatre revenue, including tickets, passes, concessions and merchandise, as well as revenue from virtual screenings
- Oversee payroll function; review and approve bi-weekly payroll
- Oversee accounts payable to ensure timely payment to vendors and contractors
- Act as primary liaison with the external auditors for annual financial statement audit and Form 990 and CHAR500 preparation; prepare financial schedules and provide supporting documentation as requested
Budgeting and Financial Reporting
- Working together with the General Manager and department directors, participate in annual budgeting process
- Create, review and analyze monthly management P&L and departmental expense reports
- Cash management and cash flow forecasting to ensure adequate funds for operations and capital projects
- Prepare reports, as needed by the Development team, for prospective and current donors, including government funders
- Create reports and presentations for and participate in Committee and Board meetings.
- Participate in long-term planning for the organization, including five-year budgets for operations and capital spending
Management and Administration
- Supervise Bookkeeper
- Establish, maintain and update a documented system of accounting procedures and internal controls
- Establish strong, effective working relationships with colleagues, educate fellow staff on financial policy and protocol, and serve as point person for all internal financial inquiries and troubleshooting.
- Oversee filing and document retention of financial information
- Bachelor’s degree in related field; CPA strongly preferred
- Six (6) + years of relevant progressive experience in nonprofit accounting
- Experience with budgeting, forecasting and financial reporting
- Ability to improve financial processes and procedures
- Strong working knowledge of MS Excel and Word; experience with Quickbooks and Tessitura is a plus
- Self-starter with ability to work independently or with minimal supervision, meet deadlines, and oversee the work of others
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills (written as well as verbal)
- Analytical and detail oriented
Start date: ASAP
Salary range: $85,000-$95,000 DOE
The JBFC offers an excellent benefit package, including:
- Unlimited PTO after two years of service (23 days of annual PTO for first 2 years)
- Generous sick leave
- Fully covered Paid Family Leave (PFL) for all FT staff
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, including a generous HRA to cover deductibles, as well as a Flexible Spending Account
- 403(b) plan (non-matching)
- Potential for flex work schedule (in office vs. remote)
- Annual Professional Development fund
- One paid Volunteer Day per 12 month period
- Office located across the street from Metro North station (Harlem Line)
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Controller 21” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
Learn more about the organization at www.burnsfilmcenter.org
The Jacob Burns Film Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring and employment on the basis of race, creed, sex, gender, religion, age, color, disability, marital status, national origin or citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, genetic predisposition and/or carrier status, veteran status, or any other classification as protected by law. Please inform the JBFC if you need any assistance with the instructions provided to participate in our application process. Questions and concerns may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.