Chief Financial Officer
The Jacob Burns Film Center is a nonprofit cultural and educational institution located in Pleasantville, NY, dedicated to presenting the best of independent, documentary, and world cinema, promoting visual literacy, and making film a vibrant part of the community. We are seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to oversee our Finance team and join our senior executives.
The Chief Financial Officer directs all aspects of financial management, including preparation of operating and capital budgets, cash-flow projections, financial forecasting and analysis, the annual external audit, periodic financial statements, and other internal and external financial reports. This role provides strategic recommendations and evaluations to the Executive Director, has primary responsibility for accounting operations, information technology, and benefits management, and functions as a senior executive team member.
The CFO has an impact on JBFC’s productivity and efficiency, partnering with the Executive Director to implement strategic initiatives. The CFO manages the annual budget by updating estimates and monitoring revenue and expense performance against the Budget. The CFO works with the Executive Director and the senior executive team to create and execute the financial strategy of the JBFC, and oversees all matters related to accounting operations and financial policies and procedures. The CFO provides recommendations on new business opportunities and ways to improve financial performance and efficiency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees strategic business initiatives from development through successful execution under the guidance of the Executive Director.
- Develops and maintains systems of internal controls to safeguard organizational assets.
- Manages accounting and finance staff to ensure excellence in day-to-day service to the organization.
- Oversees the preparation of the Annual Budget, forecasts, and long-range projections, including operating and capital budgets, and cash flow and balance sheet projections.
- Serves as staff liaison to Finance, Audit, and Investment Committees.
- Manages the preparation of internal financial reports and key performance metrics to provide management insight into revenue and operating expense trends, and to track project spending and potential risks/opportunities for forecasting and planning.
- Oversees the monthly variance analysis of actual operating and project spending compared to the Budget, forecast, and prior year data.
- Establishes strong relationships with the senior management team to support their business needs.
- Oversees IT hardware and software systems to meet business needs, manages the relationship with any outsourced IT provider(s).
- Monitors contract negotiations, administrations, and review.
- Responsible for overseeing business, property, casualty, worker’s compensation, and other insurance policies.
- Responsible for employee benefits negotiation and financial administration.
- Manages balance sheet accounts and ratios.
- Develops cash flow projections and reporting to ensure adequate capital for all needs.
- Safeguards the organization by ensuring compliance with financial and tax regulations and strengthening, monitoring, and enforcing a solid internal controls environment and appropriate financial reporting processes.
- Builds and maintains banking relationships.
- Assesses financial risks and opportunities, and develops risk management plans as needed.
- Develops, implements, and monitors financial control systems.
- Ensures that adequate internal controls are in place as well as compliance with GAAP and applicable federal, state, and local regulatory laws and financial and tax reporting rules.
- Bachelor’s degree required, in Accounting or Finance preferred; Master’s degree preferred.
- Seven (7) + years of relevant progressive experience in a business or executive management role.
- Thinks strategically and holistically and executes with excellence and speed.
- Experience working at a 501(c) 3 or similar organization is a plus.
- Brings a financial point of view to assist in strategic decision-making.
- Experience managing all elements of finance, including accounting, financial planning and analysis, cash flow, and banking relationships.
- Strong data analysis skills to identify and present meaningful observations and recommendations.
- Excellent organizational, written, and verbal communication skills, with the ability to collaborate in a team environment to drive a better business performance.
- Skilled in taking the initiative, and exercising sound judgment in problem-solving and decision-making.
- Comfortable and effective being self-directed with the ability to manage competing priorities and thrive under pressure.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word, and other applications in the Microsoft Office suite.
- Familiarity with general ledger, accounts payable and Point of Sale (POS) systems.
Start date: January 2022.
Salary range: Commensurate with experience.
The JBFC offers an excellent benefits package, including:
- Unlimited PTO after two years of service (23 days of annual PTO for first 2 years)
- Generous sick leave
- Fully covered Paid Family Leave (PFL) for all full-time staff
- 100 percent employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for staff members, including a generous HRA to cover deductibles, as well as a Flexible Spending Account
- 403(b) plan (non-matching)
- Potential for flex work schedule (in office vs. remote)
- Annual professional development fund
- One paid volunteer day per 12 month period
- Office located across the street from Metro North station (Harlem Line)
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “CFO 21” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please.
Learn more about the organization at burnsfilmcenter.org
The Jacob Burns Film Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring and employment on the basis of race, creed, sex, gender, religion, age, color, disability, marital status, national origin or citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, genetic predisposition and/or carrier status, veteran status, or any other classification as protected by law. Please inform the JBFC if you need any assistance with the instructions provided to participate in our application process. Questions and concerns may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties and responsibilities that are required of this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned.